Saturday, November 28, 2009

I read an article five years ago on ancient Bengali culture. It said the men had earrings and wore l

I recently got my ears pierced. I have one light blue titanium captive bead ring with a chrome colored stainless steel ball in my left ear (for wealth) and a dark blue talon shaped earring in my right ear (for health) I did it primarily for spiritual purposes. Brahmins have karnavedha at childhood. Sadhus and Saiva Swamis often have it too. It is supposed to stimulate psychic powers. I saw a picture in a book of a Tantrik yoga adept meditating with pierced ears. Shankar Bhagavan also has pierced ears. This internet site on ancient Bengal said the men all possessed earring and wore very long hair. Could anyone who understand the old Bangla culture before the British Raj please clarify and elaborate on this. I find this topic fascinating. I would be extremely grateful if you could help me out with this. By the way my father is Bangla (Kolkota) and my mother is Goan/Malayalee



I read an article five years ago on ancient Bengali culture. It said the men had earrings and wore long hair.?

Yes, you are right. According to Indian Hindu tradition the earlobes of a child (irrespective of its sex) were pierced because it proved beneficial for the health of the child.It is still practised in many households.But now as the male child grows up the use of earrings is discarded. But in the olden days males not only used earrings habitually but also kept long hair.The strenght of a man was said to reside in his hair. This was true of not only Bengali culture but that of the whole of India



I read an article five years ago on ancient Bengali culture. It said the men had earrings and wore long hair.?

The tradition of long hair and wearing Ear ring was universal in India till British East India company arrived. It is only when Indians began to be Anglicized they cut the hair and removed the ear rings but In Rajasthan boys wear the ear ring even now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
noton